Wednesday, May 28, 2014

After the Kiss Review


After the Kiss

Author: Terra Elan McVoy
Average Rating: 3.15/5.0
Personal Rating: 3.8/5.0
Amount of Pages: 382
Finished Reading: May



According to Goodreads:

This moment changes everything. 

Becca has been head-over-heels for Alec from the instant they met. He's a brainy jock with a poet's heart; in other words, perfect for her. 

Camille is careful with her words and protective of her heart, especially since Chicago. Then a new boy in her new town catches her off guard with a surprise kiss. 

Too bad that new boy is Becca's boyfriend, Alec. 

Camille and Becca have never met, but their lives will unravel and intertwine in surprising ways as they deal with what happens after the kiss.

My Opinion:

It was extremely random that I picked up this book. I had a completely different book in mind to pick up next, but I came across this novel when I was trying to make room on my bookshelf. I remember buying the novel, but it soon became one of those book purchases that I told myself I would read sometime in the future. And of course, I ended up forgetting about it. I hate neglecting my books like that, but sometimes some novels just get lost in the shuffle. 

I am quite pleased with decision to read this novel, because I was looking for a light read that I could get through quickly. I have been reading some not so fluffy reads lately, and I truly needed a break. I feel like this read is perfect for the summer, even though the setting doesn't take place in the summer. It just gives me that vibe of being a summer read. ( Nothing to do with the fact that I read the novel out on my deck with the sun shining. pshh.) 

One thing that intrigued me was the writing style that McVoy used throughout the novel. There were two character perspectives that she would flip between. The first one was Camille who was written in second person and did not follow the capitalization rules that we are all used to. The second character was Becca, whose voice was written in prose with the use of  first person. I thought it would take me longer to grasp the two different styles, but there were only a few times that I had to go back to read a sentence or two over to understand what was going on. I know there are several books out there that have been written in prose, but I found it unique how this particular novel switched between the two contrasting styles. 

My one pet peeve about the story line was how there was no confrontation between the two girls involved in the triangle. They were part of this dance crossing in front of each other, but never coming together. I'm a girl who loves to see some action with this sort of thing. I'm not saying I like cat fights, but I do enjoy when two characters come together to confront the issue at hand. 

I believe After the Kiss takes the common topic of a love triangle, and puts a creative twist on it with the stylistic way of writing. I do not believe my time has been wasted reading and getting to know the characters. This novel is a light read that lets your mind relax and time fly by. I would recommend this novel to any who are looking for a quick read, and stories involving romance. 





No comments:

Post a Comment