Friday, June 12, 2015

Charlie, Presumed Dead by Anne Heltzel Book Review!

Charlie, Presumed Dead

Author: Anne Heltzel
Average Rating: 3.36/5.0
Personal Rating: 3.0/5.0 
Page Count: 272
Publisher: HMH Books for Young Readers
Release Date: 2 June 2015



According to Goodreads:

In Paris, family and friends gather to mourn the tragic passing of Charlie Price—young, handsome, charming, a world-traveler—who is presumed dead after an explosion. Authorities find only a bloodied jacket, ID’d as Charlie’s. At the funeral, two teens who are perfect strangers, Lena Whitney and Aubrey Boroughs, make another shocking discovery: they have both been dating Charlie, both think Charlie loved them and them alone, and there is a lot they didn’t know about their boyfriend. Over the next week, a mind-bending trip unfolds: first in London—then in Mumbai, Kerala, and Bangkok, the girls go in search of Charlie. Is he still alive? What did their love for him even mean? The truth is out there, but soon it becomes clear that the girls are harboring secrets of their own. 

No one knows whom to trust in this thrilling tale of suspense and deception.

Purchase Links:


My Opinion:

I received an e-copy from the publisher via NetGalley, but in no way does that have an impact on my opinions. 

That summary sounds intriguing doesn't it? I will admit the story was intriguing, but it was slow. The events that occurred during the first half of the book we already knew about from the summary up above. Towards the end of the second half, that's when everything seemed to flow in sync with each other. I was fully absorbed into the story. I finally saw the suspense and the psychological twists and turns that I had been looking forward to read about. 

The two main narrators are Aubrey and Lena. Each chapter alternates between their point of views, so we are allowed to see what is going on in their heads. It was a constant game of tug-of-war between them though. Is she my friend? Yes. No. Can I trust her? Yes. No. Is she going to stab me in the back? Yes. No. Listen, if you are going to travel half-way around the world in search of your dead boyfriend who cheated on you with the other girl he cheated on you with then you better have some trust. This game went on all the way to practically the end, and I'm just sitting there going "she hasn't done anything yet and there's like 10 pages left so I think you are good." I'm not specifying which girl said what, because they both said things like that.  Then you have Aubrey who has this big, dark secret that she hadn't told anyone besides Charlie and her journal. She makes it very clear throughout the book that she needs that journal back. The secret was big, I will admit, but random. We don't find her secret out until a little past halfway through the book. 

I was planning on giving two hearts, but the ending was beyond amazing. The last 20-ish pages I was completely devoted to this book and its characters. Plus, the cover is beautiful and unique. I found Charlie, Presumed Dead moved a long at a slow pace making all the major events seem like they were delayed. 





2 comments:

  1. I love when a good ending can really bring a book around and makes you want to add on that extra star. It's great that the pacing picked up for you eventually after that slow start. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! It's one of the main reasons why I despise DNF-ing books. Every book has its own story to share with people, and just like how we like our stories being heard to the very end so do books. Thank you!!

      Delete